[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 29 02:15:55 UTC 2008

> * Matt Larson:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Paul Vixie wrote:
> >> BIND9 does what the RFC says,
> >
> > Chapter and verse, please.  I believe this situation is not cut and
> > dry according to an RFC, but I am more than willing to be enlightened.
>
> I've also seen the answers Lutz described from BIND 9 servers, so I'm
> a bit puzzled, too.

	RFC 1034.

   3. Start matching down, label by label, in the zone.  The
      matching process can terminate several ways:

	You leave the zone when you hit the NS RRset at bottom of
	zone.  3b reinforces this statement.  Glue is below the
	zone.

         b. If a match would take us out of the authoritative data,
            we have a referral.  This happens when we encounter a
            node with NS RRs marking cuts along the bottom of a
            zone.

	RFC 2181 also has a retriction about promoting additional
	records (glue) to the answer section.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org