[dns-operations] Reporting glue as authoritive data -- Bug!

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jan 28 09:24:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:51:52PM -0500,
 Matt Larson <mlarson at verisign.com> wrote
 a message of 11 lines which said:

> > BIND9 does what the RFC says,
>
> Chapter and verse, please.

IMHO, this is RFC 1034, section 4.3.2. It says "If a match would take
us out of the authoritative data, we have a referral. [...] Put
whatever addresses are available into the additional section, using
glue RRs if the addresses are not available from authoritative data or
the cache." In the example given ('dig @f.gtld-servers.net A
ns1.crsnic.net.') we are "out of the authoritative data".

I agree that RFC 1034, 3.7 says "Answer [section] Carries RRs which
directly answer the query." introduces ambiguity since, in the example
given, the A record directly answers a query.

Work for the IETF "DNS extensions" working group, which is currently
busy on a "profile" RFC? (See the attached message.)