[dns-operations] "remotely changing a home router's DNS server was theoretically possible" (C|Net)

Gustavo Lozano glozano at nic.mx
Tue Jan 22 21:43:50 UTC 2008

The attack is very simple.

2Wire adsl/routers have a section for specifying name to IP address
information which is sent to the client by the resolver on the router.

Here is an image of a compromised adsl/router.

http://www.cert.org.mx/imagenes/dns.png

The reason for this feature from the manual is: "The Advanced - DNS
Resolve page allows users to name network devices (such as printers
or Web servers) so that they may be easily accessed by other users on
the network."

Gustavo Lozano