[dns-operations] "remotely changing a home router's DNS server was theoretically possible" (C|Net)

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Jan 22 19:53:56 UTC 2008

For me the best solution is:

Forget your router as resolver.

There are cheap boxes arround who do not have a resolver at all but simply
repeat your ISP's resolvers via DHCP answer.

Others have some doubtfule resolver, rarely a bind never an uptodate one.

Almost everybody with a decent operating system can have either djbdns or
bind on his laptop. The windows people can at least have an almost uptodate
bind.

Support farming. Have some crackers for breakfast.

I guess there is mostly nothing a remote hacker cannot do.

They even flushed the flash of my router. Oh, yes I have changed
the password and I unplucked the DSL-cable when I was seeing what
happend. I guess they would not have flushed but flashed my router.

So it was me who had to do it finally :)

When I tell you, while the attack lasted I could not use my phone.
You probably know who the hackers were.

There is no connection between my ISDN phone and my DLS-router
except for the splitter. I have no computer connected to the ISDN.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana