[dns-operations] DNS zone transfers are now illegal in North Dakota?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Jan 21 17:10:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:30:34AM -0500, Edward Lewis wrote:
> At 3:33 +0000 1/18/08, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>
> >	but i'd really like to hear a credible answer for the
> >	apparent assertion that zone data is private.
>
> In the sense of a credible answer and not the ultimate show stopper:
>
> If I have this right - in the US, the Federal Communications
> Commission has a provision for unlisted telephone numbers.  Telephone
> companies are looking to make use of DNS.  Although you can dial an
> unlisted number, it isn't to be discoverable.  In this situation, the
> zone data is to remain private even though it is in DNS.

	actually, unlisted numbers are discoverable.  US practice
	is to segregate the users of the data into distinct groups
	and "unlisted" has different meanings, depending on which
	group you are in.

	to date, i am unaware of law or practice which does the
	same, in a consistant basis, for the DNS.  we still maintain
	the fiction that there is a loosly coherent, single namespace
	(unless of course you are in a walled garden, held captive
	by a hotel or ISP, or use one of the many alternate roots
	out there, including ICANNS alternate root)

> I know that in the prehistoric Intel 80286 age we felt that zone
> transfers were free and open.  Just because we said so then doesn't
> make it so today.  Requirements change.

	when did "we" say otherwise?  where is this new "requirement"
	documented?  :)

--bill