[dns-operations] DNS zone transfers are now illegal in North Dakota?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jan 18 21:34:08 UTC 2008

> Ridiculous. Imagine a shop-owner putting a list of everything in stock
> on the shop front door. Now, if the public read that list is that
> somehow a violation of the shop-owners rights as opposed to asking for
> individual items at the counter?

opposing counsel will say, "if the shop owner has not yet priced and offered
for sale everything in the back room, then it would not be to his advantage
to have his complete inventory published without his permission."  a judge
would probably listen to that.

> Every DNS server implementation worth mentioning has mechanisms to
> restrict zone-transfers. That's been the standard for more than a decade
> already. I belive some even block transfers by default.

if a spammer is using one of those server implementations, all is well, since
counsel can just say, the default was closed, my client found it open, and so
my client's assumption that the spammer intended to publish this information
is reasonable.  a judge would probably listen to that.