[dns-operations] DNS zone transfers are now illegal in North Dakota?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Jan 17 23:33:37 UTC 2008

> For some reason I'm preoccupied with this message and topic.  I agree
> with what Paul wrote but in the essence of trying to rip out the
> emotion over spam, I replaced the personally identifying references
> to se how this reads.
>
> >negative: since zone transfer is not necessary for normal internet access
> >to the mr. jones' servers, there is no reason for mr. smith to fetch the zon
> >other than to violate mr. jones' privacy.  this is no different from port
> >knocking.  by analogy, just because i leave my car unlocked and my keys on
> >the seat doesn't mean i invite unknown third parties to drive my car around.
>
> [1]
>
> >positive: since every name server implementation published since 1989 has
> >had the means to restrict zone transfer to authorized parties, and since mr.
> >jones did not avail himself of this feature, mr. smith could reasonably
> >assume that mr jones was willing to participate in internet research and
> >surveys that use zone transfers to gather data.

postive: zone transfers are used regularly for diagnotic purposes both by
the administrators of the zone and by remote administrators attempting to
diagnose operational problems both with the DNS and any services that use
the DNS.

[I know I've done that to diagnose problems that were not reported by the
owner of the zone.]

positive: zone transfers are used to make rlogin from sites within the
remote namespace secure by removing the ability to inject forged DNS/UDP