[dns-operations] DNS zone transfers are now illegal in North Dakota?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Jan 16 22:17:24 UTC 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> today i was pointed to the following gem by al iverson concerning
> david ritz,
> with a reference to lawrence baldwin.
>
> 	"Ritz's behavior in conducting a zone transfer was unauthorized
> within
> 	the meaning of the North Dakota Computer Crime Law." You might not
> 	know what a zone transfer is, but I do. It's asking a DNS server for
> 	all the particular public info it provides about a given domain. This
> 	is a common task performed by system administrators for many
> 	purposes. The judge is saying that DNS zone transfers are now illegal
> 	in North Dakota.
>
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/811611_david_ritz_court_spam/

If you feel this is a pathetically bad ruling (as I do), and deserves
to be overturned (as I do), please click on the link for donation to
Mr. Ritz's legal defense fund and donate a little (as I did).  Or go
directly there: <http://sfldf.org/paypal.html>.

David is out of money fighting this thing.  His lawyers were working
pro-bono (at least at the end).  I do not know if he has the means to
appeal.  But if he does not and this stands, I think it will hurt more
than David.

--
TTFN,
patrick