[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Jan 10 18:59:58 UTC 2008

> Emphatically not speaking for my employer, I would point out that this
> is a big disadvantage to the competitive-registrar model that we have:
> registries have a very hard time competing with other ones on
> technical grounds, because the active market is at the registrant
> level, rather than the registrar level.  The relationship between
> registrars and registries that receive delegation from ICANN is so
> tightly structured that it's quite difficult to distinguish oneself.

i'm not speaking for your employer, either, when i remind one and all that
in during green paper wars, i was quite vocal about the registry function
being performed by nonprofit public benefit corporations, not by businesses,
and the above text is a perfect example of the fears behind my recommendation.