[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Thu Jan 10 15:01:51 UTC 2008

On 10 jan 2008, at 15.57, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 02:54:04PM +0000,
> Paul Vixie <paul at vix.com> wrote
> a message of 10 lines which said:
>
>> then one thing the registries could do is offer registration without
>> delegation as a service, just to keep the bad delegations from
>> tripping up clients.
>
> ++++1
>
> It was in our (EUREG) proposal for the bid of ".eu" ("explicit
> reservation of a domain name") and I've been told that it was of the
> reasons why we losed.

There are many other reasons why registration without delegation from
my point of view is absolutely critical. If nothing else for the ones
that are afraid of zone walking just because they do not want to
disclose what domain names are registered. zone walking is then only
disclosing the delegated domains. A subset of what is registered.

    paf