[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Jan 10 13:59:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 04:52:47PM +0000,
 James Raftery <james at now.ie> wrote
 a message of 43 lines which said:

> What made it a serious burden back when I was doing this sort of
> thing was dealing with the mostly confused, occasionally irate,
> queries from domain contacts who had been notified of their zone's
> `problem'.

<aol/> An important part of the work of our support group is to deal
with "Zonecheck issues" (Zonecheck being the program we use). Should
we bill this time as "Basic DNS consultancy fees", we would be rich.

But it decreases the number of support requests received *after* the
delegation. We already receive requests from people whose Web server's
is down (and someone told them "It is probably AFNIC's fault, get in
touch with them"), without the technical tests, we would have more
complaints such as "I paid for a domain and it still does not
work". At least, technical checks make the issue explicit.

> We did a full run two or three times but as the number of
> delegations grew it became infeasible to handle the volume of
> customer queries with a small and already very busy technical team.

I would certainly hesitate before activating mandatory technical
checks in ".com" :-)