[dns-operations] Delegation checking (was: Re: Some DNSSEC trivia)

Patrik Fältström patrik at frobbit.se
Thu Jan 10 07:18:58 UTC 2008

On 10 jan 2008, at 07.42, Paul Vixie wrote:

>> 	Child zone operaters will ignore problem reported to them
>> 	(particularly in logs) until a zone fails to load or a
>> 	delegation is pulled.
>
> perhaps if we write some good RFCs and good code, we can get child
> zone
> operators to know what the right thing is, know whether they're
> doing the
> right thing, and know how to do the right thing.  google for "aesop
> sun and
> wind" for more information on this approach i'm recommending.

Indeed, and we can encourage everyone to opt-in (and pay for) having
their zones being checked now and then. This is something ccTLDs are
even interested in doing. Encouraging the registrants to opt-in to
such a service. That is btw why .SE is even funding development of
software that do checks.

But going from that (opt-in, helping registrants) to removing a
delegation is a _VERY_LARGE_STEP_.

Many child zone operators ignore the problem even if the zone fails to
load. They are not interested in the delegation, only the registration
of the domain name.

    Patrik