[dns-operations] caches only resetting TTL? was Re: Whereto find "DNS resolution path corruption"?

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Wed Feb 27 18:19:44 UTC 2008

On 27 Feb 2008, at 08:31, Antoin Verschuren wrote:

> And I must say I agree with Mark, that this is a management issue.

	So, escalate!

> The only issue is that it has never been written down simple enough
> for regular zone administrators to understand why they should run
> secondary before the delegation changes, and why they should delete
> the zone after the delegation changes.

	Now for a completely different take on this, which I'm surprised not
	to have seen from someone already.

	IANAL, but ...

	Gratuitously continuing to serve out (partially) invalid zone data
	is likely a tortious interference in the domain-holder's enjoyment
	of what he has paid for (otherwise put: a DOS attack).

	I expect that an ISP's legal department and/or underwriters would
	have no difficulty either to understand this or to explain it
	appropriately to their technical colleagues.  It's all about finding
	who's holding the clue-by-four which you need wielded!

	/Niall