[dns-operations] "RoadRunner Intercepting Domain Typos" (slashdot)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Feb 27 00:51:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 05:23:52PM -0700, brett watson wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>
> > 	Unconditionally been added to.  RoadRunner are no better
> > 	than spammers here.  Both add you to a "service" without
> > 	you requesting it.
>
> indeed. as a data point, Cox Cable (at least in the Phoenix area) are
> doing this as well. you get DNS intercepted and pointed to this:
>
> ~/tmp> host www.alkdjkja.com
> www.alkdjkja.com has address 204.13.160.48
>
> -b

	not dns specific, but to reenforce the walled-garden,
	you -could- build another garden w/in a garden and
	redirect the routign for that prefix on a per host basis.

	one wonders how much oversee is paying Cox for this?

	(this re-enforces my belief that third party caches
	are too vulnerable to exploitation and could be done
	away with)

--bill