[dns-operations] "RoadRunner Intercepting Domain Typos" (slashdot)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Feb 26 22:14:07 UTC 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 5:10 PM, Roy Arends wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:04 PM, Roy Arends wrote:
>>

>> OpenDNS intercepts failed DNS requests as well, redirecting them to
>> OpenDNS own search and advertising platform.  The difference could be
>> that OpenDNS users can opt-out of this service, and RoadRunner
>> customers might not.
>
> I just got word from some folks in the NY area (customers of
> RoadRunner) that they can opt-out of this redirecting service as well.
> So the service seems to be similar.

I believe there is a large difference - you have to first opt-in to
OpenDNS.  So saying you can "opt-out" of something you already opt'ed
into is kinda misleading.

I am specifically not commenting on whether RR's actions are good or
bad, just pointing out the difference between RR & OpenDNS.

--
TTFN,
patrick