[dns-operations] caches only resetting TTL? was Re: Where to find "DNS resolution path corruption"?

Roy Arends roy at dnss.ec
Tue Feb 26 21:56:18 UTC 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 4:25 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

>> You'll get the NS RRSet twice, once as referral and then very
>> likely as
>> supplement to the authoritative response to the subsequent query.
>> This time
>> in the authority section with a TTL determined by the (child) zone
>> maintainer and that TTL might be higher than the delegation NS
>> RRSet TTL.
>
> i have here a private label (non-BIND) caching recursive nameserver
> with the
> special ability to validate the entire NS chain on every response,
> such that
> if any delegating (ancestor) NS TTL ticks down to zero, then
> iteration will
> be re-started from that point, which effectively clamps the
> authoritative-in-
> child NS TTL to be no greater than the zone-cut-in-parent NS TTL.  i
> also
> prune entire trees when an authority SOA comes in with a higher
> serial# or
> when an authority NXDOMAIN is received for a name i had records or
> children
> for.
>
> experience to date has been good -- it doesn't hit this logic path
> often, but
> no harm has been seen, and it avoids the problem described
> hereabove.  should
> i write this up as an internet draft rather than sitting on it?  (is
> it a
> dnsop@ thing, since it's optional full-resolver behaviour which
> changes
> nothing on the wire, or is it a namedroppers@ thing, since it
> changes the
> treatment of stuff that comes in over the wire?)

I'd like to have it written up, regardless of venue.

One observation is that the private label (non-BIND) caching recursive
nameserver (paul, do you have any shorthand name for it ?) you refer
to will encounter some domains like co.uk, com and net with a high
frequency of changing SOA serials. The high frequency, plus the high
level domain the frequency applies to, makes the nameserver to prune a
lot. Would it, in those case, be configurable to not cache for these
domains at all? Do you have any statistics on how often that logic
path is hit ?

Thanks,

Roy