[dns-operations] [dns-wg] Re: .SE releases report on consumer broadband routers

Patrik Fältström paf at cisco.com
Tue Feb 26 10:48:53 UTC 2008

On 26 feb 2008, at 11.18, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> If they mess with DNS data, they are not routers (a layer 3 device,
> neutral with respect to the content), they are middleboxes (a layer 1
> to 9 device, able to break anything).

Well, it is more complicated than that. Many people do think that NAT
boxes are layer 3 devices, and if you have a double-nat mechanism then
"messing around with DNS packets" is a needed feature. Sure, then one
start walking from layer 3 towards layer 9.... But...

Anyway, this is not when we should fight about wording. We all know
what we talk about, and I think we should thank Patrik and others what
they have done.

    Patrik