[dns-operations] Where to find "DNS resolution path corruption"?

Antoin Verschuren Antoin.Verschuren at sidn.nl
Wed Feb 20 09:01:13 UTC 2008

dns-operations-bounces at lists.oarci.net wrote:

> Your list of dumb DNS things is larger than my short list of
> dumb DNS things, and I'll ask the ISPs not to do any of them
> for all the obvious reasons.  Even if they listened, what
> else could go wrong? Here are my proposed arguments (comments
> welcomed):

Perhaps not so much on recusive nameservers, but more on autoritative nameservers and caching, I'm usualy having a hard time explaining ISP's they should delete their authoritative zone when authority is transfered away from them. Most ISP's seem to think that a record allways expires in a cache, and it then allways queries the root path for a new entry, instead of only updating the TTL from the authoritative source they allready have in their cache. They mistakenly think they are no longer queried after their former parrent changed the delegation.

Antoin Verschuren

Technical Policy Advisor
SIDN
Utrechtseweg 310