[dns-operations] Where to find "DNS resolution path corruption"?

David Dagon dagon at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 20 00:56:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:36:44AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

> 	And ISP's will do this in a dumb manner the same way as
> 	hotels do this in a dumb manner.  They will add a
> 	"transparent" DNS proxy/intercept box.
>
> 	They won't look at "rd", thereby breaking every interative
> 	resolver.
>
> 	They won't pass through queries that have a TSIG breaking
> 	support for those using a tamper resistant channel.
>
> 	They may not have a DNSSEC aware box breaking the ability
> 	to use DNSSEC.
>
> 	They won't advertise this in advance.
>
> 	They won't have a opt in/out mechanism.

A nice list.

Thanks to Stephane, I'm coming up to speed on some of the more recent
policy RFCs on name mangling.  I make yardsticks and measure things
(often malicious things).  But on Wednesday, I'm talking to a large
group of (mostly N. American) ISPs at MAAWG, who are forming a working
group around DNS issues.

Your list of dumb DNS things is larger than my short list of dumb DNS
things, and I'll ask the ISPs not to do any of them for all the
obvious reasons.  Even if they listened, what else could go wrong?
Here are my proposed arguments (comments welcomed):

  transparent proxy evils: users waste time learning that
    opendns does not work for them; users deserve to know the
    address of the DNS server actually resolving for them;
    mixed authority/recursive hosts (yes, bad) with custom TLDs
    in their zones will not be reached.  What else?  Various
    forums overflow with stories.

  ignoring 'rd': obviously bad

  TSIG: Do any proxies do anything more than merely forward or drop
     TSIG queries?  (I think proxying would introduce potential
     clock issues, since now you have three parties with potentially
     different times.  I.e., what if the client and proxy clocks differ,
     but the client and server's clocks are sync'd.  BADTIME or not?)
     This seems far too complicated to do more than forward or drop.

  DNSSEC: I worry ISPs won't provide such a box, particularly if it
     lets their DNSSEC-aware users reject the NXDOMAIN rewriting.
     (Cf. RFC 4924 s2.5)

  opt-out: In the worst case, notification and consent may be obtained
     by the user continuing to pay their cable bill.  Here, perhaps
     the industry group can define best practices.

DNS vendors will be needed for whatever the N. American ISPs do, so
some readers of this list might have the last word.

Unlike the port 25 blocking effort from MAAWG, which took years, the
ISPs have a potential revenue stream from NXDOMAIN rewriting.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread; I've learned this
iceberg is more of an iceshelf.

--
David Dagon              /"\                          "When cryptography
dagon at cc.gatech.edu      \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN    is outlawed, bayl