[dns-operations] MX record definition?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Dec 18 05:24:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:36:59PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

> In message <a06240800c56f3fcb2752@[10.31.200.207]>, Edward Lewis writes:
> > That's the place for the definition.
> >
> > Don't know if there's a document that says why/that they are bad.
> >
> > I can only venture a guess - probably because the reason they are bad
> > is weakly written application code that assumes the name in the MX
> > record is a host name and not a domain name.  (Host names in RFC
> > 1123.)  I.e., what do you get if you try to look up the A record for
> > 123.321.23.123?
>
> 	Well the description pretty clearly says it it a host.
>
> EXCHANGE        A <domain-name> which specifies a host willing to act as
>                 a mail exchange for the owner name.
>
> 	Seeing a IP address in the exchange field of a MX record
> 	in a master file is, almost always, a configuration error.
>
> 	Seeing a IP address with a period at the end in the exchange
> 	field of a MX record in a master file is also, almost always,
> 	a configuration error

	can you tell me what is behind the "almost always" disclaimers
	in both the preceding paragraphs?

	sounds to me like -in some cases- a fully numeric string that
	-could- be parsed as an IP address would be legal.

	i've seen and used fully numeric (domain names) in the past
	and may do so in the future...