[dns-operations] Strange problem with fragmented DNS responses from b.iana-servers.net

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Dec 10 23:02:19 UTC 2008

In message <82fxkwksz2.fsf at mid.bfk.de>, Florian Weimer writes:
> > I receive (fragmented) replies both from B and C. Very occasionally
> > the reply from B is reordered on the way, i.e. I receive the second
> > fragment (which doesn't contain port numbers) first. Such a reordering
> > could presumably cause problems for stateful firewalls...
>
> Not likely.  There are some stacks which consistently send the
> fragment at the highest offset first.

	And there are some middleware boxes that can't handle
	fragmented responses where the first fragment is not recieved
	first.  I know they exist as one of them is running the X
	server I'm using right at this moment.   It handles fragmented
	packets that terminate on it.  It doesn't handle fragmented
	packets that are in response to NATed traffic.

	Mark