[dns-operations] Strange problem with fragmented DNS responses from b.iana-servers.net

Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk Ray.Bellis at nominet.org.uk
Wed Dec 10 15:38:20 UTC 2008

> Not likely.  There are some stacks which consistently send the
> fragment at the highest offset first.

Nevertheless, there are consumer routers out there whose stateful
firewalls do _not_ cope with out-of-order UDP fragments.

I've personally seen this on a Zyxel ADSL router.  It may even have been
the one I'm still using at home.

It wouldn't allow an IPSEC session to be established through it because
the IKE (udp/500) message was fragmented.  As I was running the ISP side
of the network at the time I was able to verify that the fragments were
going to the WAN side of the router in the wrong order, and weren't coming
out on the LAN side.

Ray