[dns-operations] is it worth trying to get people to stop declaring authority for '.' ?

Duane Wessels wessels at dns-oarc.net
Tue Dec 2 17:27:09 UTC 2008

Yes.  http://dns.measurement-factory.com/surveys/poisoners.html

>   dig @ns5.namerich.cn. any zksw.com.
>
> used to provide an authority line similar to this (circa 2006):
>
>   com. 86400 IN NS ns5.namerich.cn.

And still did when I last ran my survey (Sept 2007):
http://dns.measurement-factory.com/cgi-bin/poison_browser.pl?source=ns5.namerich.cn

>> does anybody still care?
>
> Old Windows 2000 resolvers are perhaps affected.  I know win2k8/win2k3
> has Kashpureff protection "on by default", but curiously lets one
> disable it in a menu option.

Right.

I think the level of care is low.  But every now and then I will
hear from someone who bought a used domain name.  They are upset
because when they google for their name, the top result points to
the TMF database and associates them with "poison."

DW