[dns-operations] whois location standard

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Tue Aug 26 08:56:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 10:17 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Calvin Browne:
>
> > What I like is it can apply to any zone (dig _nicname._tcp.co.za SRV
> > +short).
>
> It doesn't work for non-TLD domains because anyone at a TLD that
> hasn't got such a SRV record could install her own record and lead
> people to the wrong WHOIS server.
>
> (In other words, you need the publix suffix list.)

I don't understand the problem.

You operate a zone - and want to publish the location of the whois
service for that zone. You simply publish a SRV record, and now people
know where to find whois information for that zone.

Are you saying that aa.xx can subvert bb.xx by publishing a different
location for bb.xx ?
Or aa.xx can subvert xx by publishing a different location for xx ?

--Calvin