[dns-operations] delegation-only: How useful?

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Tue Aug 26 08:26:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:53:18AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

[...]
> > > exclude list have _nicname._tcp/IN/SRV entries to help WHOIS clients.
> >
> > I had not heard of that. That's fun.

More fun on a Mac. Try "whois -h at nic.at". Either you succeed or see an error
message "whois: at: nodename nor servname provided, or not known",
depending on whether the SRV response wins over the NXDOMAIN for the A
"at.$defaultdomain".  Second attempt should do it.

> 	All these operators are deliberately mis-using SRV.

Sure, because they deliberately implemented a draft that was discussed
in the IETF, the RIPE DNS WG and CENTR at its time.

-Peter