[dns-operations] whois location standard

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Tue Aug 26 08:08:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 07:45 +0000,
dns-operations-request at mail.dns-oarc.net wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Joe Abley wrote:
>
> >> Several ccTLDs which are not listed in ISC's root-delegation-only
> >> exclude list have _nicname._tcp/IN/SRV entries to help WHOIS clients.
> >
> > I had not heard of that. That's fun.
> >
> > (Some of those records seem to have problems, unless I'm confused;
> > see AF, GR, VG below. Although as people might have noticed by now I
> > am a fan of the kind of signalling that I might infer about AF and
> > GR :-)
> >
> > A draft codifying the use of _nicname._tcp.${zone} SRV records for
> > this purpose seems like it might be quick, easy and useful.
>

> A draft has been around for it seems like forever.
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sanz-whois-srv-00
>
> There was some talk about reviving it on the CENTR tech list when I
> was doing some moving around of the .SE whois server.
>
> If you want to do some work I would appreciate it. But talk to some
> implementors while you're at it.
>
> --
> patrik_wallstrom->foodfight->pawal at blipp.com->+46-733173956

Joe,

I tried to get the ccNSO to take the draft to completion - figured their
members would be the most to benefit - cc'ing Chris on this as he may
have more info as to if it has got anywhere...

I also sent it to about the 4 or 5 whois client implementers I could
find - but never opened a separate folder to keep track of how it
went...

What I like is it can apply to any zone (dig _nicname._tcp.co.za SRV
+short).

regards

--Calvin