[dns-operations] the mathematics of kaminsky spoofing probability

Eric Osterweil eoster at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 5 23:51:35 UTC 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 8:49 AM, Shane Kerr wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 06:45 -0700, David Conrad wrote:
>>>
>>> This is non-trivial because auth servers don't always give the same
>>> answers
>>> (round robin, load balancing devices, plus many auth servers hiding
>>> behind
>>> one IP address, which might not all serve the same data).
>>>
>>> But it is indeed one of the better options.
>>
>> At some point, the number of hacks necessary to implement address
>> spoofing protection (which won't actually prevent spoofing if the
>> attacker happens to be on the wire of course) is going to surpass the
>> complexity of DNSSEC, both in terms of code as well as operations.
>
> Isn't this comparing apples and oranges?
>
> As someone running a recursive resolver, I have no control over
> whether
> or not a particular zone is secured with DNSSEC. I can, however, take
> reasonable measures to protect myself against spoofing.
>
> DNSSEC requires action by at least 2 people, probably more like 4
> in the
> typical case (the registry has to support it, the registrar has to
> support it, the zone holder has to secure the zone, and whoever is
> running the resolver needs to run the appropriate software).

I was curious why you think the registry and the registrar must
support DNSSEC in order for you to gain protection from it?  If I
understand your implication, it is because the parent zones must
securely delegate (i.e. serve valid DS records) for the secure
children, right?  If I've misunderstood you, my appologies.  However,
if this is the case, I think you might find that it really takes 2
(maybe 3) parties, and if you run a recursive resolver, then you are
one of them. ;)

> So, for those of us who are not lucky enough to live in Sweden or
> Brazil, a little forgery resistance is a good thing. :)  (I guess,
> since
> of course I have not seen the official publication.)

To use DNSSEC in the absence of a delegation hierarchy you can look
at DLV repositories.  From RFC 5074 S07, "... Searching all
applicable DLV domains until an applicable DLV record is found that
results in a successful validation of the response... "

Thus, you can use DLV and keep this a 2 party operation (as zones
adopt DNSSEC, they get into DLV repos at different rates).

Eric