[dns-operations] D9.INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Sun Apr 20 02:45:33 UTC 2008

On 19-Apr-08, at 21:40, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> this is a technical list.  "change is actioned" would be interpreted
> by
> most here, including i, as actually *done*.  especially as the rest of
> your sequence was all the above layer seven handshakes too,

David and crew will clearly know the current process with accuracy
that I cannot hope to emulate, but the general gist as I understand it
is that requests to change the root zone

- are authenticated by the IANA
- trigger technical checks by the IANA
- trigger administrative checks by the US DoC
- trigger technical checks by Verisign
- result in changes to the root zone by Verisign

I was referring to the second item in the list. You know this already,
and I don't see that we're disagreeing about anything, but perhaps
further clarification on the operational procedure is useful for
someone else here.

Joe