[dns-operations] D9.INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Sat Apr 19 15:19:47 UTC 2008

On 19 Apr 2008, at 00:16 , Larry Brower wrote:

> There appears to be an issue with D9.INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG. Anyone
> know anything about this?
>

> info.                   172800  IN      NS      D9.INFO.AFILIAS-
> NST.ORG.
>
> dig: couldn't get address for 'D9.INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG': not found

Here are some observations from me as an individual, without the
benefit of any deep digging, log hunting or peer review from others at
Afilias.

It looks as though some records were dropped from the INFO.AFILIAS-
NST.INFO and INFO.AFILIAS-NST.ORG zones at the same time as the apex
NS set for INFO was updated, in preparation for a request to the IANA
to make a corresponding change in the root zone.

Those two zones are served by a subset of the nameservers which serve
INFO. Those that server INFO and also INFO.AFILIAS-NST.(INFO|ORG)
would have reported NXDOMAIN for queries of the form "d9.info.afilias-
nst.info IN A?". It seems possible that those that only serve INFO
might have returned what Ed Lewis calls a "hybrid" response,
incorporating the appropriate (glue) A record in the answer section.

The records were re-inserted at a later time, but apparently those
changes did not propagate immediately. They have propagated now, I see.

There was no change to the presence of corresponding glue in the root
or INFO zones for those hosts.

There seems to be no problem right now, diagnostic, operational or
otherwise.

I have seen no sign that there was ever a production problem for
lookups of INFO-registered domains. However, this is not any kind of
official incident report, others' mileage may vary, contents may have
settled in transit, etc.

Thanks for bringing this up here.

As a meta-point, to help future diagnosis of such things, we (Afilias)
could probably incorporate a notification to this list in our
procedures for arranging apex or delegation set NS changes. Feedback
on whether that would be useful to see here would be most welcome.

Joe