[dns-operations] Anycast Topology and Performance paper released

Steve Gibbard scg at gibbard.org
Mon Sep 17 23:53:42 UTC 2007

After some delay, we've released the paper related to my talk at the July
DNS Operations Workshop.

Abstract:

Observations on Anycast Topology and Performance

Steve Gibbard
Packet Clearing House

Much of the Internet's critical DNS infrastructure -- several of the root
servers and many top-level domains -- are being distributed with a
technique called anycast. There are significant variations in network
topology between different anycast systems.

There have been several studies of stability and query distribution of
anycast networks. Most have focused on a single anycast system and may
have told us more about the specific system studied than about anycast in
general. A recent study by Liu, Hufffaker, Fomenkov, Brownlee, and claffy
applied a consistent methodology to three different anycast systems and
found significant differences in query distribution among the three.

This paper is an examination of the Liu et al. study from a network
engineering perspective. It considers how network topology affects
performance and why their research showed the results it did. It then
looks at what we can infer from those results about the behavior of other
anycast systems, and examines the query data from another anycast system
to test those inferences.

The paper is at http://www.pch.net/resources/papers/anycast-performance/

Thanks,
Steve