[dns-operations] RCODE for bogon answers

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Fri Oct 12 03:11:40 UTC 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 19:14, Jo Rhett <jrhett at svcolo.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> Then would the best practice be to return the equivilent of NXDOMAIN
>>> for things blocked by name server policy?
>>
>> This is a bit rude in the case someone mistakenly points one of their
>> NSes to your server.
>
> Isn't your case even ruder than what he proposed?  It's awful rude to
> send NS traffic to an unknowing nameserver without having arranged
> for service in advance.

And as the owner/operator of nameserver.net I whole heartedly agree.
I'm the second user of that domain- the previous one didn't do
anything with it. There was a tremendous number of domains pointing at
ns1 and ns2 incorrectly. Making it impossible for me to use them for
my domains for fear of overwhelming my meager connections at the time.

People pointing domains at nameservers they have no relationship win
deserve whatever bad or "rude" service they get.