[dns-operations] Client retry behavour?

Simon Waters simonw at zynet.net
Thu May 10 08:24:11 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 17:26, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > I think the assumptions that went into the creation of a 'stub  resolver'
> > should probably be revisited in the face of much more  powerful machines
> > and more memory.  With the exception of (some)  embedded devices and
> > given the Xeno's Paradox dream of deploying  DNSSEC, I suspect it would
> > make more sense for most everybody to run  a local caching server (or
> > "full resolver" or "recursive nameserver").
>
> i completely agree.  even a wristpad PDA has more memory and cpu than the
> vax 750's for which the current stub resolver model was designed.  and if i
> were writing a recommendation, i would recommend a full resolver
> everywhere.

On the other hand, browsers already do the local cache thing, and they
universally choose to do it wrong. There is a lot to be said for keeping it
simple, and keeping the foundations stable and secure. So that network
designers can design for the round trips involved by placing DNS servers
where they are needed.