[dns-operations] Fwd: Execution Problems WAS (Re: friday version of dnscap)

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu May 10 05:11:49 UTC 2007

> After solving the --enable-bind problem..

you mean --enable-libbind i think, if you're referring to the invocation
of "./configure" when building bind9 from source.

> (previously I was replacing  ns_put32 with NS_PUT32 and including
> -lresolv in order to get the fp_nquey function)

if your libresolv includes fp_nquery then you can link against it, sure.
alas, system integrators have put fp_nquery in a lot of places, and the
only sure way i know to write this makefile is to depend on -lbind.  if
you install bind9 from source, using --enable-libbind, you'll have it.
(if you install bind8, you'll also get libbind, but plz don't do that!)

> I'm still having other issues... I get the help output regardless of
> what I do
>
> Using man page example:
> root at iMac:/home/htregz/dnscap# ./dnscap -d - | tcpdump -r -
> dnscap: usage error: unrecognized command line option

how very odd.

> Using email example:
>
> root at iMac:/home/htregz/dnscap# ./dnscap -g -c2
> dnscap: usage error: unrecognized command line option

that's terribly strange.

> I'm running Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS PPC.

on freebsd and on suselinux, those examples produce expected (good) output.
so, perhaps you can use gdb in order to find out what getopt() is returning?