[dns-operations] announcement of new tool -- dnscap

Bruce Campbell bc-dns at vicious.dropbear.id.au
Thu May 3 21:58:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 3 May 2007, Duane Wessels wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2007, Paul Vixie said:
>
>> i'm worried about the default being to blast binary garbage all over stdout.
>> maybe i should make "-d -" mean dump-to-stdout, make the default be to dump
>> nothing, and add a "-g" option to produce dig-like trace output on stderr?
>
> I was bitten by the "binary garbage all over stdout" problem so I
> think "-d -" is a good idea.
>
> If the user doesn't give a -d option then I think dnscap should
> either (a) tell the user that no output will be generated, or (b)
> use a default dump file name, or (c) popen("tcpdump -n -r -").

(b) is bad, as the user really doesn't want to be stuck debugging a
cryptic 'unable to write file' error when they run it in a non-writable
directory without specifying a file.  (a) is good.

--
   Bruce Campbell.

$ ls | bzip2
bzip2: I won't write compressed data to a terminal.
bzip2: For help, type: `bzip2 --help'.