[dns-operations] Is anyone aware of the Community Secondary DNS server project...

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Wed Mar 21 13:56:47 UTC 2007

> I have a couple of zones that have more importance in the great scheme of
> things than others, although not close to the root, they are used for
> something rather more important than the rest of the business here.

if they're public-benefit (like doctorswithoutborders.org for example) then
ISC would take them in, even though they aren't the root or TLD's.  JFYI.

> However one of the issues is one has a very short TTL on records, and I'm
> loathed to place it under other administrative control, where I can't for
> example take it down quickly if it doesn't update correctly within 2 minutes
> of a change.

have you heard about metazones?  taking zones offline remotely can be done
using the tool ISC prefers folks to use for managing the secondary catalogue.
see <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg05192.html> and
its attached PDF file for more info.

http://www.vix.com/personalcolo/ is a great starting place for such.