[dns-operations] DNS World Conference 2007

Sam Weiler weiler at watson.org
Fri Jun 29 03:28:56 UTC 2007

I think this is a make-money-fast conference organizer.

It looks like the same folks who put on another event ten years
ago[1].  I've spoken with one of the people on the program of the 1997
event, who confirmed that it had significant scam-like qualities,
including getting stiffed on travel expenses and being unable to reach
the organizer after the fact.

Other details look dicey, too: neither I nor google recognize the name
of the program chair, and the quotes from him in their press release
don't suggest a deep understanding of this world.  There's a Ft. Myers
yellow pages entry for Datanet Security Holdings calling it a web site
designer.[2]

-- Sam

[1] See: http://www.sandelman.ca/ipsec/1997/01/msg00068.html, which
advertises the "Datanet Security 1997 Annual International Conference
and Exhibition on Wide Area Network Security".  Both dnswc.com and
datasec.net (used for the 1997 conference) have the same registrant
listed in the whois and are registered using Network Solutions'
Private Registration service -- the address of the domain holder is
not public.  The 1997 conference announcement includes a fax number
from a Ft. Myers area code (the old one, before it split in 2002),
further suggesting the connection.

[2] (239)936-3651, 1919 Courtney Dr, Fort Myers, FL 33901.  That
address looks like a strip mall.  I haven't been able to figure out if
"Datanet Security" has a real storefront or if this is just a mail
drop.