[dns-operations] Verizon Online to Trial New Web Search Service to Reduce Error Messages

Dave Sparro dsparro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 20:48:46 UTC 2007

On 6/21/07, Matt Larson <mlarson at verisign.com> wrote:
> I have Verizon's FiOS service at my house in Maryland and so far, I
> couldn't be more pleased with it: fiber right to my house and 5 Mb
> down/1.5 Mb up for about USD 35/month.  (Up to 15 Mb down is available
> for not much more money.)  I'm assuming I'll eventually be affected by
> this and it will be interesting (like a train wreck is interesting) to
> see it in action before I opt out...
>
> Now that I think about it, I wonder how the opt out will work?  I have
> a dynamic IP address and, of course, the DNS lookup happens before
> HTTP, so it can't be cookies.  It would be tricky track which moving
> target of addresses still get Name Error responses.

Actually, many of the vendors selling this type of service learned
from the Sitefinder fiasco.
They will generally mess with the DNS response only in the situation
where the query was for an A record, and it started with "www."  They
also usually have some method of interaction with Radius/LDAP/DHCP
logs to help track user preferences.   Not perfect, but better than
Sitefinder.

--
Dave