[dns-operations] Everyone as root server ? Was: FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Jul 31 23:10:03 UTC 2007

On Jul 31, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> I agree that having the root servers be targets for the AXFR is a bad
>> idea.  The target of the AXFR should be on a different
>> infrastructure.
>
> what new ip address would you like ISC to listen for AXFR on, if any?
> (if you'd like, we'll allocate a new one and tell it to you, or you
> can.)
>
> do you want us to stop offering AXFR on 192.5.5.241 and
> 2001:500::1034?

<IANA hat>
At this time, IANA doesn't see a need to change the status quo.  If
individual root server operators believe it prudent to change, we'd
be interested in understand the rationale.
</IANA hat>

My comments were directed at the idea of doing a public root slave
mechanism as a production service.  Do you as a root server operator
think this change by FreeBSD is going to be sufficiently onerous to
change the status quo?

Rgds,
-drc