[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Jul 31 22:13:59 UTC 2007

> > I'll second Olafur's suggestion: let's not get bogged down in
> > discussing the burden on the root servers.  That's a red herring,
> > since they shouldn't be offering outbound AXFR.  Rather, let's discuss
> > if a locally served root is a good idea.  If it is, there are all
> > kinds of options for distribution.
>
> I'm very interested in this idea; both to reduce unwarranted traffic,
> and to also get a faster NXDOMAIN.  I don't think I'd want to propose
> a default name server config that did this though.  I have thousands
> of name servers that really shouldn't individualy slave that zone,
> for instance; but for me to fetch it from a couple of locations, and
> in turn feed it to all the resolvers via whatever means (axfr, rsync,
> multicast, whatever) seems like a win for me personally.  Having the
> largest DNS-(ab)using organizations slave the root zone, seems like
> it'd be a win for the root server operators.

i think you'd be better off with an i-root, l-root, b-root, m-root, j-root,
f-root, or k-root inside your perimeter.  some of us need to be sponsored,
others will do it for free.  the best part is, your traffic gets measured
as part of global experiments like CAIDA DITL, and the internet has some
hope of knowing the location if not the diameter of its own navel, for
possible contemplation purposes.