[dns-operations] FreeBSD and the slaving of the root zone

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Tue Jul 31 21:31:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:20:07 -0700
Michael Sinatra <michael at rancid.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> the default operation might be considered harmful.  Or is that actually
> your point and have I missed it by focusing on the hardcoded-IP-address
> prohibitions of RFC4085 and not the more general "don't distribute
> configs to a large set of devices that may have detrimental effects on
> infrastructure if deployed en masse"?

There is no "prohibition" of course and as we all know RFCs are not
jail sentences.  In the abstract is says very plainly that embedding
globally-routable IP addresses into Internet hosts is discouraged.  And
if you look through the doc you see the word "should" where you might
have thought "must" was.

I think the 4085 provides generally good advice and I think it has
something to say in this case.  It doesn't necessarily prohibit this
behavior, but I think it does suggest against it.

Personally I don't know if after wide deployment the end result would
be bad or good.  I could envision both scenarios, either certainly seems
very plausbile with a little bit of luck in one direction or the other.

I would probably be much more pessimistic if this change was going
into default configs of something like CPE devices.

John