[dns-operations] Karl Auerbach on adding 'millions' more TLD - what do folks think about the operational impact?

Lutz Donnerhacke lutz at iks-jena.de
Tue Jan 9 22:59:27 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:46:03AM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> I see this as have no real impact on using DNAMEs.  The fix is available
> and those that want to resolve those name will get the fix.

Unfortunly you are not right here: The fix is available only on request by a
certified partner, not via the usual updates services. The fix is explicitly
marked to not be used in production enviroments.

And you have to know, that a parsing problem might exist, because your
application only receive "SERVFAIL". After you traced this "response" down
to a local software glitch, you might find the approbriate knowlegde base
article which urges you to ask a partner for the fix.

I wonder if this fix is installed in any other system than ours in the next
200km.

> DNAMEs just generate CNAMEs so the sites are on the air.

And those are ignored, because they come bundled with a DNAME record, which
stops the processing of the packet.