[dns-operations] "Rogers: NXDOMAIN means NXSERVICE for you"

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Wed Jan 3 19:23:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Fergie wrote:

> I file this under "Stupid DNS Tricks". :-)

Indeed. It really is a half baked solution; but it is good to see
them trying to address the zombie problem at all..

> It's easy to see that, if the checks are not made somewhat more
> bulletproof, you senselessly cut off your downstream customers.

It's also likely that the heuristics work extremely well for the
99.98 customers using their resolvers, who have a few random Windows
boxes behind their CPE.

Anyone doing anything more complex than that really should be
running their own caching nameserver, for a variety of reasons
besides this anyway.

Lets be careful about demonizing ISPs for not addressing the zombie
problem, and then demonizing them again for trying to be more
responsible.

matto

   Moral indignation is a technique to endow the idiot with dignity.
                                                 - Marshall McLuhan