[dns-operations] 86198 queries per second from BIND 9

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Sat Feb 17 18:19:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Rodney Joffe wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
>> I'm getting 45,000 qps from a $1200 HP Procurve DL320 G5.  Should be
>> able to get 200,000 qps from a dual quad core xeon for about $5000.
>
> Authoritative? Recursive? How are you measuring?

If authoritative, it would be fascinating to know how many zones he
has configured, and how large those zones are.

If recursive, it would be fascinating to know what he is querying
for, and where the auth servers are located.

In both cases, knowing what he's using to generate the queries
would be interesting knowledge.

Benchmarking is fun, because you really can get almost any number
you want, as long as nobody's paying attention to your methodology.

matto

PS: Small plug, if you are still using queryperf, please take a
look at resperf and dnsperf. While not as useful in a 'get any
number you want' way, they are much more useful in a 'get a
meaningful number' way.

http://nominum.com/testing_tools.php>

   Moral indignation is a technique to endow the idiot with dignity.
                                                 - Marshall McLuhan