[dns-operations] charter, sitefinder, opendns (slashdot today)

Douglas Otis dotis at mail-abuse.org
Fri Feb 16 15:53:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-16 at 08:54 +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:

> > > i've been standing in the water up to my waist trying to hold back that
> > > tide.
> > >
> > > so, i'm not sure what you mean by "not let".
>
> it's not up to just us what happens on this score.  we have to add elements
> if we want to affect the mix, because it's not in our power to subtract.

While not familiar using the new Microsoft UDP protocols PNRP and
Teredo, they offer users a new type of name space (usable by their
browsers and other applications) which can also associate friendly names
obtained from DNS, although PNRP does not utilize DNS directly.  This
"alternative" is heavily encumbered with about 9 patents.

PNRP and Teredo can automatically establish direct ad-hoc wireless
connections, and navigate through NATs, and Firewalls.  After helping a
few teenagers run games behind a typical home router, it is clear the
$10B/yr game/interactive market is likely a primary motivation for this
new and complex name space offering complex IP address routing of
multiple IPv4 addresses followed by an IPv6 address held within the OS
network stack.

Will this "convenience" become the bane of security, or will this
replace DNS with something more secure?  The water is much higher than
our waists.  The flickering light high overhead could be the surface.

-Doug