[dns-operations] Drive-by Pharming Threat (fwd)

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Fri Feb 16 02:02:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Fergie wrote:

> I don't know -- I found this whole "report" somewhat dubious, if
> not downright opportunist: hasn't this "vulnerability" basically
> existed since, like, forever?
>
> I write it off as marketing opportunism... among other things. :-)

Well duh. Think RSA and a brand new idea they did a PR about - Phishing
MiTM kit (think phishing: user >> fake site >> bank).

Nothing is really new in security, we have seen malware/etc. change the
hosts file for years now, not to mention domain hijacking.

We have also seen wireless brute-forcing/etc./what-not.

The one thing about the folks at SYMC who did this release is that they
actually know their ****. Meaning, someone took these two technology ideas
and made something new from them, which is:
Break into wireless routers and put your DNS server in them for hijacking
purposes. Symantec just reported it to us.

It's cool, it's "new" and it won't be a huge problem quite yet.

I remember a thread from NANOG a couple of years back when I mentioned
Google and all these other national/International wireless providers
better be ready with physical operational folks that will track down rouge
APs, etc. Cop cars with triangulation devices? :)

It was a vulnerability waiting to happen which wasn't exploited, meaning
it didn't get much attention. This is much like the days when bots were
trojan horses as botnets didn't yet exist.

Wireless used to be used for hacking into a network-connected machine, now
it is suddenly used for the sake of it being wireless. Still
network-connected as a goal, but it is no longer just TCP/IP which plays
the game.

GOOD NEWS: these are DNS servers we can take-down. Fun, yet another
escalation war.

	Gadi.