[dns-operations] charter, sitefinder, opendns (slashdot today)

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Thu Feb 15 22:32:18 UTC 2007

> How long until domain/content owners realize that its better
> to have a wildcard than to return NXdomain?

the operator of .COM already thinks it would be better.  and i'm betting that
the operators of .CO, .CM, and .OM are seeing a fair bit of monetizable hits,
yet of the three, only .CM has a wildcard in place (as of this hour.)  because
yahoo and google are successful commercial entities, we can presume that the
absence of wildcards under yahoo.com and google.com mean that monetizable
typo's aren't occuring there, or are always retried with correct names so no
opportunity is lost by not having a wildcard.

but if charter's approach becomes (even more) popular among ISP's, we can
expect most SLD's to sprout wildcards.  this is the kind of unintended side
effect that the ICANN SSAC report spoke about (concerning the .COM wildcard.)