[dns-operations] charter, sitefinder, opendns (slashdot today)

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Thu Feb 15 19:38:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Paul Vixie wrote:

> if performance has to suffer in order to prevent censorship, so be it.
> that's not just my ample gut talking -- it's what i think will happen.

Besides the performance implications, there are a -lot- of security
implications, too.  Now, it's certainly possible to argue that censorship
is the ultimate security problem, but there are already ways to route
around (pardon the pun) that sort of thing using VPN/tunneling
technologies which can be obfuscated to one degree or another.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins at cisco.com> // 408.527.6376 voice

Any information security mechanism, process, or procedure which can
be consistently defeated by the successful application of a single
class of attacks must be considered fatally flawed.

     -- The Lucy Van Pelt Principle of Secure Systems Design