[dns-operations] A new (bad) idea for DNS: Distributed DNS Implementation in IpV6

Keith Mitchell keith at isc.org
Fri Dec 7 14:40:42 UTC 2007

Lutz Donnerhacke wrote:
> * David Ulevitch wrote:
>> If you can understand it past the abstract, you are better than me.
>
> You did not quote the motivation for this proposal:
>
> There are huge numbers of IP address in IpV6. Moreover, there may be
> use case for multi domain names associated with a sigle IP address.
> DNS implementation currently used may encounter overload traffic in
> root DNS servers.
>
> => The huge IPv6 address space causes a Root DNS breakdown.

I don't follow the logic here - increase in address space does not
necessarily mean an increase in number of forward domains. I'm not aware
of any studies, but my gut feel says the number of IP addresses which
have multiple domains for e.g. virtual hosting, is far short of the
total addresses in use. While there may be some new scaling issues with
reverse lookups in IPv6, this has much less impact on the root due to
the stricter and deeper hierarchy.

Keith