[dns-operations] [reg-ops] Re: Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD) Information Disclosure (fwd)

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Tue Dec 4 15:12:12 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 09:48:31 +0200
From: Hank Nussbacher
To: reg-ops
Subject: Re: [reg-ops] Re: [dns-operations] Web Proxy Auto-Discovery (WPAD)
     Information Disclosure (fwd)

At 01:09 AM 04-12-07 -0600, Gadi Evron wrote:

Which is why in April 2000 in bought up wpad.org at a cost of $70 (I still have
the online invoice) and offered it to Microsoft when it expired in 2002 - free
of charge - provided they continued to pay for the renewal.  MS didn't have a
security clue at all back in 2002 so I let it lapse.  Now it appears Duane
Wessels has that domain.

This was part of the Web Replication and Caching working group (www.wrec.com)
and even had a draft RFC:
http://www.wrec.org/Drafts/draft-cooper-webi-wpad-00.txt
which never got anywhere.  I guess that is why Duane bought up wpad.org after I
released it.

-Hank