[dns-operations] dnscap -> dnspcap, and some notes about ncap

David Dagon dagon at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 23 16:45:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 02:48:43PM -0700, Joao Damas wrote:

> And so, this is the new proposed set of command line switches (the

<snip>

> -o output file

Scenario: someone#1 has scripted tools in place, and uses -o to read
cron-delivered pcaps.  Someone#2 updates dnscap one day, and now uses
the -o switch for output.  Someone#1 then nukes their data.

Perhaps prompt to replace a file, or error, and '-f' to force
replacement of existing files when an -o argument is given?  But then
you build in -f for legacy reasons.

Or maybe dnscap is young enough that the tiny community of users is
careful about the change.  I have seen notices about dnscap on wider
lists, and don't know if lots of random folks outside this mailing
list are using it. Then again, it's beta.

Gosh but '-o' gave me the willies each time; thanks for that change.

--
David Dagon              /"\                          "When cryptography
dagon at cc.gatech.edu      \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN    is outlawed, bayl